Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin necessary for maintaining energy and general vitality, and it provides numerous health benefits. It is found naturally in some foods of animal origin such as fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk and dairy products and in certain foods fortified with added vitamin B12. Learn why it is so necessary for the health of our body and mind
What is vitamin b12 for?
Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient for the human body and contributes to its well-being and health. Some of the benefits of vitamin b12 are:
- Maintains the health of neurons, brain and blood cells.
- Strengthens the nervous system and increases concentration.
- It contributes to the production of DNA (the molecules within cells that carry genetic information).
- It prevents megaloblastic anemia, a blood disorder that causes tiredness and weakness.
- Reduces tiredness, fatigue and increases energy.
Supplements with vitamin b12
Vitamin b12 is not always consumed in a suitable or beneficial way for the body, as it is only naturally present in foods of animal origin. For example, vegetarians or vegans, by basing their diet on foods of plant and non-animal origin, do not get the supply of vitamin b12 that the body needs.
Likewise, other groups of people such as the elderly and people with digestive tract conditions that affect the absorption of nutrients are also susceptible to a deficiency of vitamin b12 in the body.
Responding to these needs, numerous brands of natural food supplementation such as Solgar, Soria Natural, Bonusan, Naturitas or Lamberts have created food supplements based on vitamin b12 to supply the lack of this vitamin in people who need it. Discover them!